Sunday, April 24, 2011

random rants and raves

I forgot Mike's chili parlor!!! Website-boo, never been there. Discovered it one day while running with Vicki, and the sign in the window said "Chili. Beer. Cash only." HOW can you NOT want to try that!?!? Then while stalking it online I discover it's been on Diner's Drive-ins and Dives.

A little background, my family loves chili. We ate it practically every day on our Yellowstone trip.

SLU pub crawl's yum-worthy food:

lunchbox laboratory - sweet potato fries and corn dogs! and Mar's syphilis lunchbox is there!

Mars bar - gnocchi with gorgonzola and bacon on a bed of spinach. I am fairly new to the world of gnocchi, but I think it might have been fresh!

omg I spell potatoe like Dan Quale. Are people sure it's not the British spelling? Like flavour?

Somehow, somewhere, some one procured Reese's Easter eggs at Paddy's. Does not go well with Irish Car Bomb.

Lessons in cooking:

Jamie Oliver's pizza dough recipe doesn't come with cooking directions. Just storage directions. Burnt/undercooked food doesn't make a healthy nation. At least put oven temp.

Good flavor combination: kale, mustard greens, spinach, and collards mix with marinara sauce and chili pepper.

Bad for the pizza:

marinara sauce (too liquidy - makes it harder for the pizza dough to cook in the middle)

Winging it when feeling inattentive and scatter brained.

1 comment:

  1. Pizza tips (since I've been on a homemade pizza kick for the past couple of months)...
    -somewhere between 375 and 400* seems to be sufficient to cook my fresh dough... usually cooks in as little as 8 min, as many as 16 depending on how many toppings I pile on. :)
    -Tomato sauce is a great base (better than paste or marinara) that you can season up however you like. I just freeze the extra in a ziploc laid flat in the freezer.

    Happy Pizza-ing!

    ReplyDelete