Monday, February 27, 2012

Foodie Time with SoCal Visitors

2 sets of SoCal cousins migrated up here for visits. For the first timers we took them to Ivar's on the pier, because they wanted the standard for chowder and seafood out there. Of course, I encouraged them to visit World Spice Market on their way from the pier to Pike's.

The second set were seasoned visitors, so I brought them some pastries from my favorite bakery, Nielsen's in lower Queen Anne. They were brunching at Salty's at the time, so I got myself an espresso and a snitter. Look at the menu.

Espresso here is ALWAYS better than Starbuck's. They use Olympia Roasting Company's beans.

Pit stop for happy hour at Elliott's Oyster House on Pier 56. Fresh baked sourdough bread, and a huge selection of oysters. Their sauces include horseradish, cocktail sauce, lemon, and I think there was a vinegar. I like the sauce selection at Walrus and the Carpenter better.

The waitress new we liked creamier oysters, so when these huge creamy oysters came out after we had paid she made us try them for free! Just so we could appreciate the goodness.

You can't beat the freshness of these bad boys.

Next up - the standard visit to Le Pichet. We were all pretty stuffed from our earlier meals so we tried the Lyon-style French Onion Soup. It comes in a shallow bowl and a giant piece of crouton in the middle so every bite has some bread, soup, and gruyere in it.

Some one ordered a side of fries since they are simple and delicious there. This is what I did with it:

Look at how nicely browned that is!

Cousin got the hangar steak, and I told her to dip it in my soup:

I bet you never had aus jus as savory.

For dessert we ordered pratically all of them. Drinking chocolate with creme fraiche.

Chocolate mousse with I think a lemon creme?

And beignets with a berry sauce

Next up, and evening out in Ballard ending at The Sexton. The guests were actually out on capital hill I believe. Or at Lola. Cousin and I were out with our book club for some post book discussion roaming. Both sauces to our dishes had an extra kick to them, but I can't remember what it was that was in them.

Yam fries - there was something savory - maybe bell pepper or citrus? I can't remember. There was something distinct. It worked though.

More importantly, look at how big they are!

Our friend had never had hush puppies before (deep fried seasoned corn bread). This sauce definitely had something spicy added to it. I think spicy and garlicy. They over fried them though so it was overly crisp and just burnt tasting on the outside. I would try them again. It could have been a late night fluke.

Low key atmosphere, interesting drinks (and strong!). I would recommend a return visit to the Sexton to anyone. It should be interesting to see what their dinner menu tastes like.

No comments:

Post a Comment