Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Korean BBQ

On actual New Year's Eve Cousin and I met up with some friends and had Korean BBQ at Kaya.

We called family, said "Happy New Year," and tried the best we could to explain why we were NOT eating Chinese food on New Year's, and that we just had some Chinese friends that wanted to eat Korean.

Kind of pricey, but so tasty. The usual suspects were:

Kalbi ribs

Beef bulgolgi

Hot tofu soup with seafood:

Don't worry. Even though you don't see it, we ate it with rice. Soup without rice is just silly.

Side dishes and the glorious grill!

That ball of meat in the upper right hand corner was something new. It's mixed together and eaten raw like this:

I think those were radish or turnip. I'm not sure. But there was raw egg and some sort of sweet sauce. Like rice wine.

There was also steamed egg. Kind of savory. There's a version of this dish in every culture. My Grandma used to make a sweet version, and I think the Japanese version has caramelized onions at the bottom.

This is some other soup. I think it was bean based. I forget. Also good. Not soy-beany or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment