Monday, October 3, 2011

Adventures, a Myth confirmed, and corn tortillas hate me.

I've been going to Grocery outlet more often lately. There's always something there that you don't often find or find at all in other grocery stores. Like Quaker oats instant grits (variety pack!) or this:


Don't get me wrong, I love spam - like in spam musubi. But. ew. (I would try it if some one bought it though. Not going to hate without trying it).

Also, Grocery Outlet is dangerous, because it's next door to the Dollar Tree. Slim Jim for a dollar? You mean high school nostalgia for a dollar (plus ten lbs).

Also cheese is crazy cheap and can be fancy (with a limited shelf life). Not at the Dollar Tree. You're gross.

Smash had this crazy idea that she didn't like raw oysters. I mean c'mon:

Who wouldn't like this? It's got some sort of champagne/horseradish thing to boot!

So we went to the Walrus and the Carpenter. Morbid little short story by Lewis Carol. Delicious restaurant blatantly copying some restaurant in France the cook visited (or so I hear). *shruggy face here*

We also tried some other yummies:

Before I destroyed the goat cheese: Nonna capra cheese with pickled blueberries and basil


After: with smoked salmon.
Salmon was salty. A bit of a let down compared to the rest of the meal. It's okay. Its buddy, white wine, was there to pick up the slack.


Is this creme brulee? With raspberries? Or maybe panna cotta. Creamy and delicious.

Final verdict? Of course she likes oysters. Preferably the less creamy/sweet kind. (That's what she said moment?)

Harris Birthday BBQ, and a myth explored:

J's mom is pretty much the bestest cook in the whole wide world. Deviled eggs, lumpia, marinated beef, teriyaki chicken, HOT LINKS, corn on the cob, and an interesting tomato salad. It's like all the stuff you would put on a hotdog, minus the dog and the bun. YUM.

I missed it, but some one put lumpia and the marinated steak in the hot dog. I believe this is why we're friends.

Also, we had all the players and supplies in place to test out this theory Cousin and I heard in Italy from our Canadian cohorts. Best chaser for vodka: bite into a pickle.

Rules of refinement learned:
1) It does break up the taste of the vodka. The flavors don't reallly blend. It's more just.... now you taste pickle.
2) Butter pickles are not what you want to taste after a shot of vodka.

So I had extra corn tortillas. What do you do with them? Everybody says make enchiladas. Here's the thing, everytime I rolled it up the tortilla would break. I even tried heating them up first! So instead, I did this:

Cumin/chili pepper/oregano chicken, red and green enchilada sauce, black beans, and red onion.
Make it pretty by adding stuff:

avocado, fresh tomatoes, hot sauce, Texas dip from Costco.
Ugly, but tastes good.


Revel: korean/hawaiian fusion food. They were featured on the Food Network's "Best Thing I Ever Ate." We don't have cable, so... could not confirm. But we ordered the featured dish- which was a kimchi bowl. It reminded me of my bibimbop cravings.

Cauliflower/cheese dumplings with truffle. MMMMM. Didn't taste the cauliflower though.


Marisa's right, I should update more often. I don't remember what this was. Vegetable/cheese pancake thing with arugula?

Everything was good. But.... just tell me it's something else. It's hard to compete with the real deal. (see post later)

This past weekend was things I love, revisited. Mostly in my old neighborhood, in lower Queen Anne.
Nielsen's pastry: Soy latte, and a snitter. Which is cinnamon/sugar pastry with custard. Made fresh daily!


Pike Place - Woodringer Farms. They make jams and most importantly, they love some bloody marys. These were the last batch of the season! Even when they're in season they don't always have them available. :( But they gave me tips for the in between times. I bought 4 jars.


Bibimbop! It was Vicki's first time. Korean Tofu house, U. District. Food delicious and relatively cheap, but they get jammed often. Don't go if you're in a rush.

Starting from top clockwise: Hot tofu soup, kimchi, dried tofu, onion pancake, marinated potatoes, bean sprouts, and BI BIM BOP!!!!

For a dollar more you can get it in the hot clay bowl (shown above). It keeps it warmer longer, and the egg cooks faster. Normally the egg kind of cooks from the heat of the rice. I don't know why the rice is purple.

Yes, Bibimbop! always needs an exclamation point.

No comments:

Post a Comment