Sunday, October 16, 2011

2 assumptions proven wrong, but still delicious

Coconut and Rum brownies (recipe from epicurious).

I don't regularly keep dark spiced rum in the house, so I bought the little party bottle of rum. Turns out they don't sell dark spiced rum. Just spiced rum. Also, it's a bit more than 2 tablespoons. That's ok. There's molasses! And what harm could come from having just a bit more rum in the recipe?

Pretty simple ingredients: not pictured - butter and eggs.

I thought the rum would cook away. I mean, I'm stirring it over a double boiler when I first add it, and then I'm baking it. Nope. It doesn't. I made them in mini-muffin pans so people feel less bad about eating them. Also it was work, and what if the rum doesn't cook away! Not a very good "welcome back" gift if it also includes "now you're in trouble at work."

Guilt-bite-sized.

Next up: corn bread. We had a departmental potluck to welcome our newest member. There was pulled pork sandwiches, fried chicken, grilled chicken, chicken adobo, home made peanut butter chocolate cream pie, french onion dip with veggies, root beer float fixings, dessert muffin cupcakes (think swirls of caramel and such), 3 kinds of chips, chocolate swirl cookie bars, potato salad, and more!

After cooking club dinner I thought I'd try to make arepas to go with the pulled pork, but it was after 9pm and I didn't want to mess it up and have to start a new batch over. So I copped out and did corn bread from the back of the box. First time making corn bread ever! AND I used my kitchen aid mixer! It's super handy!


Kauai Family Restaurant: This place has weird hours and is just outside of Seattle, so even though Mar and Betty keep telling me how it's better than Kona, I haven't been. Until yesterday!

I ordered this: Saimin; 2 eggs; 2 pieces each Spam, Portuguese Sausage and Vienna Sausage and rice.

To me, it read as "these are the things we put in the Saimin, and we give you a side of rice."

Here is what arrived:

Yes, yes I did order a side of mac salad and a portugese sausage musubi. Why wouldn't I???

I didn't finish all the meat and rice, but I ate the crap out of that meal. (Good things always come from exercise first, eat second).

Ultimately, I think that Kona and Kauai are comparable. I like the mac salad better at Kona, but there's more interesting variety at Kauai. For example:

Butter fried mochi!!!!

They also had home made hot sauce - "good for bloody marys!" Oh Kauai, we shall cross paths again...

No comments:

Post a Comment