Saturday, December 24, 2011

Bacon stuffed Etta's

My friend had a genius idea for her birthday: everybody must bring something stuffed, and bacon must be one of the ingredients. I was going to cheat and make jalapeno deviled eggs (see Thanksgiving) and just add bacon.

Turns out, when you try to plan in advance and boil the eggs ahead of time, but don't remove the shell you're going to just have a bunch of yolks. My co-workers said that eggs have a membrane inside that kind of dips up on the wider end. If you poke a hole or make a tiny crack on that end before you boil it you should be good.

Experiment for next time. Instead I made stuffed mushrooms:

The biggest appeal was that it had all 4 food groups! Veggies (spinach, onion, mushroom), Carbs (bread), Meat (duh. bacon!) and BLUE CHEESE! (used Saga).

Mmm. So melty. Actually, I would have preferred a lighter cheese. The blue cheese over powered everything else (or I used too much). Goat cheese would be my substitution, and I used turkey bacon so you can pretend to be less fat.


Went to brunch with B and Mar at Etta's! I've been waiting to try that place for forever! Unfortunately I wasn't in a breakfast mood. So I got crab cakes!!

Mar got the special of the day - which I forget the name of.... let's just say slow cooked ham.

Are you drooling? Because I am.

Market house corned beef hash: sister in-law needs to try this. It comes with habanero ketchup! (Did you know habenero is not spelled with the ñ?)

Yummy crab cake with buttered kale and fries. (Green thing is tomatillo sauce). Most of the time I find crab cakes to be too breaded and takes away the flavor of the crab. I don't know what was holding this thing together, but it was all crab meat! mmm


Next Etta's goal: Make it for "crabby hour" --> how can you resist a name like that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment