Saturday, November 19, 2011

I forgot some things. P.S. it's cold out.

It's getting cold outside. This means more hot pot and comfort food. Back in Oct during my posting hiatus I forgot a picture of my spin on Rachel Ray's Reuban Mac and Cheese. I like to add Kale (probably mentioned this in earlier posts) to make it feel healthier and to help push the cheese through. You can replace some noodles with veggies in general so you're not actually eating more in volume, but that's for those who can't control themselves... many of you.

If you plan on making this your work lunch for the week, I'd suggest not putting any veggies in there in the original stock, and then just throw them in the container. They'll cook when you reheat, and not get overcooked and bitter throughout the week. Also, vegetables don't seem to keep for very long after you cook them.

Forward through for some New York-Jewish style breakfast at Roxie's diner. I think I got the Emerald City scrambler- which is brocoli, spinach, green onions, pesto and cheese. And I added meat. Probably corned beef. Substituted my sides (usually toast/bagel and hashbrowns) with LATKES! That mystery ball in the bowl is sour cream. MMMM....

I don't know why, but I associate latkes with winter. They are soooo good, and are trickier to make than you'd think. Mostly because I haven't found a recipe to love yet.

Dinner club strikes again with taco soup! Home made corn bread, fresh avocado, tortilla strips and an un-pictured mug (or more) of spiced hard cider.

Dessert was home-made apple-walnut pumpkin cake!

There were so many big pieces of apple it made the cake nice and moist. I would think that because recipes usually make you mush ingredients for cake so much that it'd be weird, but it was a good texture and made the cake much more interesting. Let me show you!

I also am obsessed with butternut squash and pumpkin. Every year I research for recipes so for an idealistically cheaper option than going to nice restaurants and fighting through crowds. Gambled on butternut squash and sage soup. Then got lazy with ingredients (didn't have parsley). Decided to spice it up a bit with curry powder, ground cloves, and nutmeg. Then to use up thyme and chicken I had, I made chicken and thyme and through that in there.


So really, I made butternut squash curry, because I also got lazy and didn't add much chicken stock. To go with my newly founded curry I made wild rice (scrape through the pantry much?) and a layer of greens.

As you can see, I added a layer of Gruyere on top, because it's getting old...

What's that red plate behind the bowl you say? Why, it's peanut butter chocolate trifle that my coworker made for people's birthdays.

Mmmm delicious. Here's what the curry looks like all mixed up:

Now I'm hungry, so I'm going to make some udon!

No comments:

Post a Comment